What is a Verruca?
A verruca, or wart, is a virus that lies between the layers of your skin. At best they are inconvenient but they can become very painful and will often spread as they are highly contagious.
- Little black sports under hard skin on the feet or around the toe area
- Can be painful – like standing on a needle
- Can also be itchy and may bleed if scratched
- They can be singular spots or appear in clusters
What can you do about Verrucae?
There are number of over the counter products that can help to remove a verruca. Please remember that verrucas are highly infectious and you should take precautions to avoid spreading them to other people. If you have a persistent verruca then you should consult a podiatrist who will be able to offer alternative treatments.
At Theale Wellbeing Centre we offer two specialist treatments:
- Verrutop – Verrutop treatment is very safe, generally painless and can even be used on children as young as 6 years old. It involves the application of a solution to the surface of the Verruca while in clinic. There is no need for any injections or pain relief.
- Swift – Swift® is a technology, developed in the UK, which has been licensed for the general treatment of warts & verrucas by Podiatrists. Swift® uses microwave energy which is delivered through a special probe applied to the skin to treat the affected tissue
This is the third in our series about common foot problems. Our we aim is to provide you with information about these conditions plus hints and tips on how to avoid and treat them.
If you are concerned about any problems with your feet call our reception team to book an appointment with one of our podiatry team.